My fitness regime isn’t something I generally talk about, but it’s been coming up in conversation a lot lately, so I thought I’d write something here for posterity.
I have a general workout, which I try to do 3-4 times a week – I find it takes less than an hour and so I can quite feasibility work it in 3 to 4 times a week.
I essentially do 3 “circuits” of the following, with a 5 minute break between:
- Using light (10kg) dumbbells
- 60× arm curls with (I switch between 3 different variations)
- 12× front lifts with
- 12× shoulder presses
- 60× raised leg sit-ups (I add a twist for 20 of these)
- 30× push ups
- 30× curls with the triceps bar (25kg)
- 30× ab rolls
- Using a 35kg resistance band:
- 12× concentrated arm curls on each arm
- 12× shoulder shrugs
- 12× conventional band curls
- Using heavier dumbbells (15kg)
- 15× goblet squats
- 6× swings per arm
- 20× hammer curls
- 30× toe touches
This workout suits me because it doesn’t require a lot of space, equipment, or time – but, along with eating reasonably well, it does keep me in “6 pack” condition.
I’ve also added a few new things recently:
- Weekly boxing sessions with a PT
- Ad hoc shadow boxing
- 8-10 miles walking with the dog each day, wearing a 10kg weight vest.
I’ve not really been bouldering lately, but would really like to get back into the habit of doing so at least once a week – to re-engage all the obscure muscles that only climbing can trigger.
If time permits, I’m hoping to add an additional weekly wrestling session with my PT soon too.